Alix Baker

Andover, Hampshire

Most of my career as an artist was spent exclusively on military subjects, mostly official commissions for paintings, books, prints and fine art postcards. In recent years I have allowed my 'civilian' art to become the dominate side but I do continue to undertake the larger official commissions of military subjects. Curiously, marine art keeps cropping up. My grandfather was a marine artist and builder of his own racing yachts - but I only met him once when I was 6! Another side is painting people and places, particularly abroad. I lived in Oman for some years and, on the military side, have painted numerous Gurkhas. I paint in several styles and media - the subject tending to dictate the medium used. There just isn't time to paint all the ideas constantly bubbling up in the old brain box!

Awards

A Selection from Recent Years only:-2016 Special Recognition for 'Gornergrat railway, Zermatt' in the worldwide Light Space and Time online gallery's 'Landscape' competition in March - 738 entries from 28 countries.2015 Highly Commended for 'Veterans,