Betty Norton

I have been a member of the S.A.A. since it first started. As long as I remember, I have always loved art! It was as a mature student, that I studied at the Chesterfield College of Art for an A level, and then at the South East Derbyshire college for a foundation Diploma in Art and Design.

This led to a three year course at the University of Derby, where I gained an Honours Degree in Fine Art. It was during my studies that I learned to appreciate, and be inspired by many artists.

The geometry of Piet Mondrian, the colours and techniques of Vieria da Silva, Brigit Riley, Georges Seurat, Claude Monet and more recently Chuck Close, to name but a few, are just some of the artists who have been exceptionally influential in the way in which I work.

I work mainly two dimensionally, although i also enjoy working on installations from time to time. I enjoy using a variety of mediums, and seriously consider process and colour before embarking on any painting. I prefer to apply the paint quite loosely to avoid contrived result. (This is of course in total contrast to my mosaic paintings, which are contrived from start to finish!), Betty Norton.

Be inspired... Click to watch a short overview designed to showcase a snapshot of the artist’s individual style and techniques in action.

Media

Acrylic Inks, Acrylics, Drawing, Gouache, Mixed Media, Oil, Oil pastel, Pastel, Pen And Ink, Pen And Wash, Pencil/Charcoal, Printing, Water soluble pastels, Watercolour, Watercolour Pencil

Subjects

Abstract or Experimental, Animal or Wildlife, Flowers or Gardens, Landscape or Woodland Scene, Portrait or Figure, Still Life, Townscape or Streetscene