Cherry R Lyons

Torquay, Devon

Cherry, an experimental artist, moved from Hertfordshire to Devon in 1999 and, after a 20 year gap, was inspired to paint again by Devon's amazing light, the coast and countryside. With firm grounding in oils and ceramics, the foray into the world of watercolour proved to be life-changing. Since retiring from a career in education, personal aspirations are almost entirely absorbed with creating art again. A resolute belief in understanding core principles and elements of design influences her depiction of life visions with the often exigent but wonderfully exciting results that watercolour brings. Pastels are another favoured media ideally suited to animal paintings and 'Pet Pawtrait' commissions which are especially rewarding. Returning to oils and acrylics has opened more opportunties to experiment. Whether it is the intensity of iridescent light on water or the power of a wave crashing on to rocks, the sensation of textures that demand touch, a shaft of light breaking through clouds or the wildness of our moors enveloped in dramatic climatic conditions, the dynamic but unpredictable nature of water-media give the spontaneity to capture the fleeting, atmospheric moments in time that just take your breath away. I am constantly tempted by experimentation and love to mix media and techniques to create textural effects or encapsulate an explosion of emotion or memory. Watching paint dry is often thought to be boring ? well I don't! Watching colour and texture mix and granulate on fresh white paper is the most irresistible fusion and exhilarating experience?. I am proud to have been chairman of Devon Art Society for four years and love sharing the experience of creating art with others. It was a a privilege to trial Guidelines to Art for the SAA with elderly groups in Torbay. This was immensely successful and brought the residents great pleasure, renewed confidence and self-esteem. I demonstrate for art societies and lead workshops that inspires creativity and can build on existing skills.  I will also tutor painting holidays beginning in 2014. 

Awards

DEVON ART SOCIETY AWARDS The Best Landscape Painting February 2007 Highly Commended Hilda Carter Award Spring 2007 Janet Moores Award Best Landscape in Watercolour Summer 2008 Joint Winner Visitors Favourite Painting Summer 2008 The Atwell Troph

Tuition