Colin Ayers

Woodbridge, Suffolk

I was encouraged to draw by my parents and my paternal grandfather Leonard Ayers, who taught me various drawing techniques.  My love for art continued through my school years and was my favourite subject.  

I had worked for the NHS for 30 years and took early retirement during September 2013; this enabled me to direct my energies into my passion for art and to teach watercolour classes at the Framlingham Library in Suffolk, as well as demonstrating for local art clubs.

As a boy, I drew wildlife with pencil and painted landscapes with Acrylics; in later years, I received excellent encouragement and tuition from professional artist, Karen Conroy (Norwich).  Karen taught me various techniques in the use of pastels and watercolours. For nearly two years, I ran watercolour classes for Karen and her husband Bernie at their art school, which was based in Beccles, Suffolk; also, I ran occassional watercolour workshops. 

I attended an art college in Norfolk and took a course in portrait drawing and painting.  Portraiture and caricature drawing/painting give me a lot of pleasure and hopefully for those persons I depict.

Like most artists, I take inspiration from various artists.  I have taken inspiration from wildlife artist Basil Ede; I love Basil's watercolour paintings of birds and the botanical contexts for the birds that he paints:  Atelier style artists, particularly for portraiture; also, I draw inspiration for my watercolour landscape painting from my dear friend Jim Merriott, whose loose and colourful approach I find delightful.  Other artists include Steve Hall, Edward Wesson and James Fletcher Watson.  Two other watercolourists, whom I greatly admire are Peter Woolley and Paul Talbot-Greaves.  Pastel pencil artist Colin Bradley has figured much in my development as an artist; particularly for my pet portrait commissions.

My art journey is ongoing and to paraphrase Steve Hall and Jim Merriott, "Paint with passion; from the heart" 

Media

Coloured pencils, Drawing, Oil, Pastel, Pen And Ink, Pen And Wash, Pencil/Charcoal, Watercolour, Watercolour Pencil

Subjects

Animal or Wildlife, Landscape or Woodland Scene, Portrait or Figure, Still Life, Townscape or Streetscene

Tuition