Jill Preston

Yeovil, Somerset

I did not take up painting seriously until I retired from my career in education. During my working life, I had little time to practise my skills but maintained an interest, first awakened at school, where I had achieved a distinction in A level Art.

On retirement, I attended various adult evening and day classes but mainly worked to develop my skills without formal tuition. I continue to attend occasional painting workshops organised by the several local art groups to which I belong. I also provide art workshops for groups in the local area.

I work mainly in watercolour, mixed media and acrylics. By discovering new methods and ideas through constant experimentation, I aim to broaden my skills and, at the same time, intensify my enjoyment of the painting process.

There is an emphasis on simplicity. I have an increasing preference for bold and intense colours.

Currently, I am exploring a variety of impressionistic and abstract representations, drawing more extensively on my emotional responses to places in the British Isles and the South West of England in particular.

Media

Acrylics, Mixed Media, Watercolour

Subjects

Abstract, Landscapes, Seascape

Exhibitions