Monica Ismay Horn ARCA

Minehead, Somerset

I was born in Jamaica and came to England aged 12, living near Truro, in Cornwall. I trained at Falmouth Art School, and aged 19, left to attend the Royal College of Art Painting School, becoming an Associate in 1966, and winning the David Murray Scholarship for Landscape Painting in the same year.
I taught for St Clare's Oxford till 1997, when I moved to Exmoor so I could concentrate on painting.
Because I had a much loved Uncle in Canada who was interested in art, I spent many holidays there, happily browsing in galleries and feel my work has been most influenced by the Candian group of 7.
I am interested in colour, texture and light and seek to celebrate the beauty of the Somerset Landscape. I paint mainly in Watercolours and Acrylics; but love working with Mixed Media when I am producing my more experimental abstract work.
I have exhibited in the Summer Exhibition at the R.A., the Museum of Modern Art Oxford and The South West Academy of Fine and Applied Arts. My drawing of Roger Opie hangs in New College. I was a member of the Oxford Art Society until I moved to Exmoor. I have exhibited with galleries in Somerset, Devon, Oxfordshire, and Glasgow and demonstrated for several years in the Materials tent at Art In Action, Waterperry near Oxford.
I now exhibit with Churchgate Gallery, Porlock.

Media

Acrylics, Giclée Print, Gouache, Mixed Media, Oil pastel, Pen And Wash, Watercolour

Subjects

Abstract or Experimental, Flowers, Landscape, Landscape or Woodland Scene, Seascape

Favoured Products & Brands

Winsor and Newton Artists watercolours

Golden and Liquitex acrylics

Raphael, Pro art and Isabey brushes

Harris Moore canvases

Awards

David Murray Landscape Scholarship

Walk in the land of light bursary