Pam J Smart

Buxton, North Carolina

I graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University with a BA Hons degree in Graphic Design and Illustration and won a Student Design Award from the Royal Society of Arts. After graduating I worked as a graphic designer at the John Lewis Partnership in London and received a second scholarship award from the Royal Society of Arts to study Arts and crafts in India. Following on from this I qualified with a post graduate certificate in Education and have been teaching art and design in secondary school for 23 years, during which time I have worked as a head of department in an outstanding school and as an A Level examiner. During my time as a teacher I have worked widely with students who have complex special educational needs including those on the Autistic Spectrum. More recently my interests have led me to read widely on the subject of Art Therapy and the therapeutic aspects of art led to teaching art sessions to elderly clients.
Last year saw the completion of my purpose built art studio, from which I now work creating my own artwork for sale. I also teach art workshop days for adults, work to commission and provide private tutoring. This year I entered the prestigious Buxton Spa Prize Art Competition and was awarded the 'Festival Choice Award', 2nd in the 'People's Choice' award and achieved a 'Highly Commended'. I have exhibited my work at the Green Man Gallery in Buxton and I will have work on show in the forthcoming exhibition at the Craft Barn in Glossop.

Awards

Royal Society of Arts Student Design AwardRoyal Society of Arts Travel ScholarshipHighly Commended in the Buxton Spa Prize 2017Festival Choice Award in the Buxton Spa Prize 20172nd Place in People's Choice Award in the Buxton Spa Prize 2017