Sarais Crawshaw

Rugby, Warwickshire

Wildlife and wild places have fascinated me since childhood.
After teaching art at secondary school until 1983, I now work as a full-time artist. I mostly use acrylic paint or soft pastel,but also sometimes woodcut & linocut prints, papercut, pencil or mixed media.
I am particularly inspired by cats of all sizes, and many of these are found in my work.
Most of my work is based on my love of British wildlife, and I spend time in the countryside surrounding my home, or in the wilder areas of Wales, Northumberland and Scotland, gathering reference for my work back at the studio.
I make quick field sketches, use a camcorder and camera, and try to observe, and later depict the animals in their natural habitat.
I exhibit regularly throughout Britain, & give talks, demonstrations and workshops.
My pictures are used by Greetings Cards publishers, and I have illustrated several features for BBC Wildlife Magazine.

Media

Acrylics, Coloured pencils, Drawing, Mixed Media, Pastel, Pencil/Charcoal, Printing, Scraperboard, Watercolour Pencil

Subjects

Animal or Wildlife, Landscape or Woodland Scene

Awards

2001 People's Choice Award at Rugby Art Gallery Open Exhibition,with "Taking it Easy", painting of a leopard.
2002 won Highly Commended Professional Category of Wildscape Artist of the Year Competition with "Who Goes There?", painting of a leopard.

Tuition