Simon Cowper

Emsworth, Hampshire

I am a professional artist and qualified teacher based in Emsworth, on the south coast between Portsmouth and Chichester.  I use the local landscape and seascape to inspire my work and exhibit twice a year in the Emsworth Open Studios and Emsworth Artists Exhibition.

I trained at Portsmouth College of Art and went on to complete a BA (Honours) in Industrial Design at Newcastle Polytechnic.  I then worked as a designer in London and the south east for two years before gaining a Post Graduate Certificate in Education from Exeter University.

From 1991 to 2011 I was a course leader for A' level Art & Design courses in Yorkshire and Design Technology courses in Scotland.  I taught all aspects of art and design, including painting and drawing, and began to think of myself as an artist rather than a designer.

In 2011 I left the politics of formal education and moved into adult education.  I teach courses for Hampshire Library Service and deliver bespoke classes and demonstrations for art groups and societies.

When not teaching I love heading out with my sketchbook to record buildings, landscapes and boats.  I enjoy working with pencils, watercolour and the marker pens I once used to illustrate design concepts.  I like to work quickly, combining observation and imagination to create impressionistic responses to the world around me.

Awards

Winner Best in Show 2015 Open Drawing Exhibition at The Spring Arts Centre, Havant.Winner of the Mountford Watercolour Prize at the 2015 Emsworth Artists Exhibition.