Sue Chatterton

Stafford, Staffordshire

Painting is fun and believe it should be viewed as such. I paint mainly in watercolour although I have been known to introduce pastel and coloured pencil to a specific piece. Watercolour is my chosen medium because of its transparency. I use a limited palette, keeping to transparent colours and enjoy experimenting with colour.

I began painting in Botswana where I was introduced to dark shadows and bright lights.  This is still an important part of what I teach.  Having a back ground in teaching and an intense interest in the subject I never stop learning;  so can say that I am self-taught whilst as the same time have learnt through study courses, workshops and a lot of practise.        

I tutor 6 local art groups each week and a series of courses for the Staffs Wildlife Trust at their headquarters at Wolseley Bridge. I demonstrate and hold one day workshops in watercolour to art groups across the country and have been extremely gratified with the response from members.

It is rewarding to see the pleasure that introducing students to the medium of watercolour gives.  I try to impart to my students the joy, sense of freedom and release that I get from painting, whilst at the same time encouraging them to put their own style and personality into their work.

As part of my teaching portfolio I organise and run painting holidays both in the UK and in Europe.  See my website for details www.suechatterton.co.uk

Whilst detailed in part, I keep my working loose with the emphasis on tone, light and shape using brushes to suit the size I am working on.

I have been selected and won awards at various adjudicated exhibitions both locally and nationally. 

I am a member, and President of Stafford Art Group, a Professional Artist for the Society for all Artists and a selected member of the Birmingham Watercolour Society. 

Art, in particular watercolour, is my passion and I never stop promoting it. 

The best thing about watercolour is that you are never too old to start and you never stop learning and developing.              

Awards

2013 Barracks Trust Prize - Three Counties Open Exhibition - Keele2013 Best in Show - Annual Selected Exhibition- Stafford Art group2013 Best Portrait - Annual Selected Exhibition - Stafford Art group2014 Accepted into Birmingham Watercolour Society