Aurora Spain

Ascot, Berkshire

Aurora Spain
The purpose of my paintings is to uplift the spirit and excite the eye. My adventurous and studied use of colour deliberately reflects the optical laws of physics whereby the after-images complete the spectral effect, leaving the observer with a deeper sense of satisfaction.
My deep study of colour theory, combined with painstaking practice, has given me a command of exceptional tonal combinations, but I put these at the service of spontaneous and lyrical concepts. My mixed media work includes textural and light effects achieved by sculpting certain areas with gels, paste and mineral materials. Each item in the series is lovingly designed to excite the emotions and the sense of touch. 
My professional career has developed through studying life drawing at South Hill Park in Berkshire, followed by a diploma course with The Open University of The Arts, and then advanced study with the JJA Academy of Art and Design in London.  This was a very exciting time, coupled with an in-depth journey delving into the science of colour, the use of it in paintings and the way it influences our moods. This in turn led to studying with the International School of Colour and becoming an accredited tutor of their system. I became a Professional Associate of the Society of All Artists, and after teaching painting and the application of decorative paint effects for the WEA, branched out on my own, and run my own classes locally as well as demonstrating and running workshops for art societies across the south east of England.
Using all these sources to become a successful painter, I have spent the last 20 years producing copious paintings experimenting with different techniques and styles. Interest in physics and theories about the workings of the universe and our place within it have been a major part of the inspiration behind my most recent work, which still abounds with the lyricism of flowers and other natural forms.
I have had several one-woman exhibitions and taken part in numerous joint shows. I have carried out many commissions, ranging from large murals of Shakespeare’s plays to tromp l’oeil scenes, triangular paintings on the eves of a converted barn, and nursery paintings on an antique bath. My work is in many private collections both here and abroad, and 2000 prints of my Venice collection were sold through a TV channel.
My paintings are represented in private collections in Britain, Spain, France and USA. In 2014 an example of my work was included in Art Has No Borders, a digital publication available on Apple’s iBooks http://tinyurl.com/101AnimalArtworks
Examples of commissions include:
Portrait of Gabriel Chanan, MBE
Trompe L’Oeil garden scene for private house
Theme paintings on antique bath, pillars and heirloom cot
Decorative house signs and stained glass effects
Triangular panels of vistas in converted barn
Large murals of scenes from Shakespeare plays, 2001
Large floral murals for florist’s shop, 1997
Professional engagements
Workshops and demonstrations for over 50 arts societies across South East England, 2005-18, many sponsored by Chroma Europe and Cuthbert Mills;
Co Project leader, ‘The Big Draw’, community project celebrating Jubilee Year and Olympic Games, Northern Parishes, Berks, 2012;
Technical Adviser for Atelier Paints, Chroma Europe, at four-day ‘It’s all about art’ event, Business Design Centre, Islington, 2010 and 2011;
Demonstrating for Artists and Illustrators magazine at four-day ‘Art in Action’ event, Waterperry Gardens, Oxfordshire, 2008
Professional Associate of the Society for All Artists
Accredited Tutor with the International School of Colour

Be inspired... Keep creating
Click to watch a short overview designed to showcase a snapshot of the artist’s individual style and techniques in action.

Media

Acrylic Inks, Acrylics, Mixed Media, Silk Painting, watermixable oils