Exhibition Visits

Anita Pounder – A Blend of the Classical and the Modern 

10th October 2024 Estimated reading time: 3 mins

This exhibition reimagines some of the world’s most iconic works of art in a multi-sensory experience. Across four galleries, 42 masterpieces from iconic artists are deconstructed, reassembled, and brought to life before your eyes. A corridor introduces each painting with a brief history, giving context to the movements that shaped and were shaped by these artists. I’ll take you through my journey in each gallery, highlighting the pieces that moved me the most and revealing how they reignited my connection with familiar art.

The World Around Us

The exhibition allows you to explore the four galleries in any order. I began my immersive experience in the largest—The World Around Us—where you are enveloped in a 360-degree panorama of art and sound. Every surface, from floor to ceiling, becomes a vast canvas displaying landscapes, cityscapes, and seascapes, shifting across eras and genres. From Renaissance to Romanticism to Post-Impressionism, it’s a mesmerising journey.

I found myself wandering through time, from the frescoes of 1st century BC to Joseph Wright of Derby’s volcanic eruption series. Claude Monet’s Boat on the Seine near Jeufosse envelops you, while Katsushika Hokusai’s Great Wave builds into a crescendo of forceful water, almost crashing down upon you. Delicate blossoms fall gently in Van Gogh’s Almond Blossom, while Caspar David Friedrich’s solitary Wanderer above the Sea of Fog stirs contemplation. There’s something deeply humbling in watching Turner’s Fighting Temeraire take her final journey, or the stormy drama of Rembrandt’s Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

The gallery caters to all—whether you’re seated, standing, or lying on the floor, from children scampering about to couples quietly absorbing the spectacle. Each cycle of images offers new revelations.

Colour in Motion

Next, I ventured into Colour in Motion, where advanced motion-tracking technology allows visitors to interact with the artworks. By walking or running through pools of colour on the floor, you activate paintings like Van Gogh’s Starry Night over the Rhone and Monet’s The Waterlily Pond. The colours disassemble into fragments and pixels, only to be reassembled before your eyes. I found it amusing to witness hesitant toe-taps evolve into playful engagement as visitors took part in creating these masterpieces.

The Art of Abstraction

The third gallery, The Art of Abstraction, presents art in its most elemental forms. Unlike the other rooms, the artworks here are projected onto transparent screens, and the accompanying music, composed by Nick Powell, dances in harmony with the shapes and colours. I was particularly moved by Kandinsky’s Yellow, Red, Blue, where colour and sound combine to echo his belief that painting is like composing music. Mondrian’s Victory Boogie Woogie brought an energetic, almost jazz-like rhythm to the space, making the room feel like a bustling New York street.

Beyond Reality

Finally, Beyond Reality plunges you into the fantastical and surreal. Salvador Dalí’s iconic melted clocks swim across the walls, while the towering, stilt-like elephants from The Elephants stride past. However, it was Bosch’s The Garden of Earthly Delights that left the most profound impact on me. The unfolding of this medieval triptych in a moving format allowed me to fully appreciate the intricate, often grotesque details, making this familiar piece feel entirely new.

Leaving the exhibition, I felt a renewed curiosity about these great works of art. I found myself drawn back to my art history books, eager to learn more about the pieces I had just experienced. This exhibition is truly remarkable, and I highly recommend visiting it, you can book tickets here.

Latest Articles

Members Only
My Favourite Colour
2 mins
My Favourite Colour: Indian Yellow | Ross Head
14th October 2024