Debbie Cullis

Isle of Lewis, Western Isles

My name is Debbie Cullis, I am originally from Wolverhampton. After leaving school with 10 'O' levels and 2 'A' levels, I went on to do a BEd. degree (Hons) in Art and Primary School Teaching. Since then I have continued to paint and sketch as much as possible. I joined the SAA in 1995. I moved to the Hebrides in May 2003 with my partner, having discovered back packing and walking in the wildest and remotest spots of the landscape. In 2005, we then decided to go touring in a Motorhome visiting other spots on the Isle of Lewis, Isle of Harris and the Uists, whilst renting out the house. We also travelled Mainland Scotland and paid a fleeting visit to Ireland. We came back to the house in 2007, I re-launched my gallery and coffee shop, in the old kitchen of our Traditional Crofthouse, on 2 April 2007. We are open all year round, serving light snacks and homebaking. Opening Times: Mon-Sat 10.00am-6.00pm. I sell affordable, original paintings, artists' prints, published cards and I make many handmade crafts. We have closed our B&B, called Tigh na Bruaich but I am pleased to say I can still give painting tuition to individuals or small groups at £30 per hour for individuals and £40 per hour for a group, usually 2 hour lessons. I also like walking in the wildest, and remotest spots and the beaches on the Islands, aswell as visiting galleries and craft fairs. I have my work in a number of outlets on the Western Isles.

Media

Acrylics, Coloured pencils, Oil, Pastel, Pencil, Watercolour

Subjects

Animal or Wildlife, Bird, Flowers, Landscape, Seascape

Favoured Products & Brands

Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylics

Wins or & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oils

Faber Castell Pitt Pastels

Awards

Won Creative Christmas Card Competition with SAA in March 2004. Runner up with the same Christmas Card for "Craft Creations" magazine in Autumn 2004. SHORTLISTED in the top twenty, Peoples' Choice for 'Simply the Best' Competition in the Leisure Painter twice with 'Pebble Beach' in 2008 and again 'A Smile in the Snow' in 2012. SHORTLiSTED for Patchings Exhibition with 'Ring Plover on Snail Shells' in 2009.